Thursday, February 5, 2009

Some more pictures

It has been a good day with the temps in the low teens and the wind just a howling but what can one expect at 7,400 feet above sea level and it being early February. Attached are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure, I took all of these over the past few days and will try not to bore you to much.

This first picture is of our seven person team standing out in the early morning air, it was freezing, with our base in the background. Yep, we live, work and do pretty much everything in this arid and barren environment but oh well, we are learning to find the beauty of the area and the people as we go about or daily routine.This is a snapshot of our seven person team standing in front of a small airplane which use to fly into our base daily. The challenge is that the other day the plane didn't make it and crashed onto the runway. We decided to take this picture as we know a lot of people who were flown by this one or similar planes each day. If we were to travel to other FOBs we would have taken planes such as this one. By the way, there were three passengers and they all were fine. So for the fun of it, our new saying is, the trip here was great but the landing was horrible
This is a shot of my quarters before I started to fix it up. Due to my rank I actually am granted 160 square feet which is a lot, but it's nice to stretch out.This a picture of my bed and area after I fixed it up a bit, not to much of a change but a heck of a lot nicer. I moved the bed to the other wall, purchased a local carpet from one of the locals and was given the bedspread from the guy I replaced, yes I washed it before I used it. Our rooms are quite nice as they are heated and once I put the carpet down I felt that I could find comfort in being there for a bit of quiet time.


This picture is of a house and its compound which we are able to see from our guard towers. Local wealthy people tend to built these elaborate walls around their houses to ensure that the poorer people can't bother them. There are a lot of these in the vicinity. Many of them have nothing inside of the walls, the owners build them in anticipation of building houses in the future.



This picture is of our perimeter fence with the town of Sharon Afghanistan in the distance and some mountains in the background.


Another shot of the same town and mountains


This is concertina wire as it runs off into the distance, what an amazing deterrent to any and all who may wish to cross it.

This is a shot of one of our Garbage trucks which services our FOB, I tried to take a quick pictures as I thought it was neat to see the two workers sitting on top of the cab, in the picture you can actually barely see one of their heads as my camera is slow. ( Note from Tina: Now you know why I want a new camera!!!)


I trust all is well and that you will have a grand day.
Lincoln

1 comment:

King Family said...

Great pictures! Everything is so colorless out there. It is amazing. That property with the wall around it is pretty cool. I couldn't even see a city in the background of the one of Shanon until I made it bigger and looked closer.

Do you think you'll bring that rug in your room home? That is kind of neat.

You are not boring dad. I check your blog 2 times a day looking for something new.

I love you!!
Halley