Good morning all,
Here is is Tuesday morning and all is well. Thank you all for your thoughts. Nobody likes to hear about the passing of friends. War is simply not fun and dangerous. One of the local nationals (Afghanies) was killed yesterday in a wind storm. We didn't know him even though he worked here on the base. The winds came from nowhere and everyone ran for the shelters. His shelter blew over and he was hit by one of the cross members. Thus even accidents can claim a life when least expected.
Our team which consists of seven members; five engineers , and two construction managers, were just told that we are moving to a new location. We don't know where yet or how soon but just that we have done miracles with the Design, Programming, and Execution of close to 82 million in construction just since we arrived in country and thus are needed elsewhere in the country. There are bigger needs elsewhere as this place is a bit nice after all, we just finished a Pizza Hut for the troops to be able to get something different. How would you like to work for Pizza Hut and get the new assignment to open the restaurant Afghanistan, I bet they are paying their employees a lot.
Anyway, I myself have been running an average of 18 projects and wonder how they will finish once there is less oversight. The Design and Programming of anything not started will be halted. The finalization of what is in the works will be finished and overseen by Army troops whom we have been spinning up. We will miss this location primarily because we understand the lay of the land and the people here. Our billets are nice, because we made them so and we are a bit apprehensive about what we will have at our future location. I tend to picture the old MASH shows with tents and a few of us in each. Our Ranks will more than likely justify something better but oh well time will tell. HQ has designated an entire aircraft just for our team further indicating the importance of the move.
I think that our interpreters are the most upset as they become like family and were enjoying our association. One of them just got his Visa to the US and is looking forward to the chance to attend school in the US. The other two will just hold out until they are allowed to migrate. I will write more when I get the chance or know of our final destination. It may take a couple of weeks before you hear from me again so until next time stay safe, stay true, stay strong in the Gospel Jesus Christ, I love you all. Lincoln
Ponderings
10 years ago
3 comments:
Wow, I hope we can hear from you sooner than that. I hope the move goes well and that they are able to finish up everything you are doing now. It sounds like you are doing a great job, I hope your new home will be as comfortable as this one, or more so.
A pizza hut? Wow, that sounds pretty amazing. I don't know if I would want to work there.
I miss you dad, and Im praying for you. Love you.
Halley
Wow, that will be pretty weird, going from hearing from you in some form practically everyday, to possibly not for a couple of weeks!! I'm glad we have been able to talk as much as we have!! Keep a stiff upper lip. Love you!
I hope everything goes well in the move. I'll miss not reading your blog and knowing that you are safe.
Sid and Love you and pray for you everyday.
Post a Comment