Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I have come to trust my interpreters

I love your comments and hope that you continue with them. I decided the first day on the job here that I would be lost without my interpreter. There is still a major gap when we are striving to tell the local nationals what we need accomplished or how to do something which is really frustrating. Without our terps we couldn't function. I have often wondered how the military functioned when they first had to enter the country but actually know as they very seldom got to have any communication with the locals often creating challenges. Now we trust our lives to these interpreters on an hourly basis. The terps live on the Base, eat with us and basically get to enter the US after a few years service as their lives are no longer valued here. I like my terps yet know that I have to stay vigilant even with them. I wish you all a great Wednesday.

Lincoln

4 comments:

Tina said...

I was thinking earlier that the afgahns who work on the base may have a hard time later because of their cooperation . . . It is interesting that the "terps" are working their way to live in the US. You are having a really interesting experience!

The two old crows said...

I agree with Tina you are having interesting experiences. By you having them and sending us back your impressions and pictures helps me to understand more of what is going on in that part of the world. We sit here day by day in our warm homes and really don't have a clue what others live like or what their daily lives are like.

King Family said...

Yeah, that is amazing. I am glad that they are able to immigrate after a few years of service. That would be hard to stay there afterwards. Do their families get to go with them?

Love you dad!
Halley

Lincoln Stevens said...

Good morning, It's 0534 in the morning and our day has begun. The locals who work an dlive on the FOB fulltime can not let anyone from their local town know who they work for. They basically have to lie to their families friends and tell them they work elsewhere or their families are hurt.