Friday, January 16, 2009

Phone call from Lincoln

Lincoln called and told me that they haven't yet arrived in Afghanistan because of the weather. He is two countries above Afghanistan . . . I think it is Kyrgyzstan. He said their approximate arrival day will be Monday. Right now they are in a holding place.

He was pretty excited (and so was I) about the special treatment he is getting because he is a chief master sergeant. There are 5 guys on his team, a couple colonels a couple majors, he is the only non-commissioned officer. The top colonel, (sorry, I don't know the exact rank, I've never been that in to ranks), and Lincoln got to fly first class, which was great because of the length of the flight . . . . and at this place they are staying they get their own rooms. He said the rest of the guys are in a huge hanger that is chock full of bunks. It is really cold in Kyrgyzstan, only 1 degree Fahrenheit. The guys in the hanger, have to go out in the cold to their latrine, and Lincoln's is right down the warm hallway inside the building he is staying in.

He took his cell phone to use as an alarm clock (my idea). Bad idea, because if you don't get a satellite link up - - - no time given - - - no alarm clock. Didn't think of that!!! He'll have to pick one up, or I'll have to send it to him.

It sounds like he is in good spirits and that he is being fed well. The monetary system is a bit different. They can't use regular credit cards, cash, or checks. They have their own military credit card that they load with money from accounts at home, if I understand it correctly. The phone calls are limited to 15 minutes because of the high demand for usage . . . so the call was short and automatically cut off. Lincoln always has plenty to say! I wish I had the recall that he does!

No comments: