Sunday, January 25, 2009

I got to go to Church today

Good morning,

Yes it is Monday morning here in the far East. Yesterday I got to go to the LDS group, I can tell it is going to be a major thing which I will look forward to each week. There were only six members present, I heard that there are a few more but they were on assigned patrols and could not attend. I can tell you that the Priesthood is in Afghanistan. I enjoyed the simply service and being able to take the sacrament. The spirit of our Lord was with us as we sang several hymns, had a speaker ( my turn in two weeks) and took the sacrament.

We start work at 6:00 am and have been ending at 9:00 pm primarily due to our spin up on all of our projects. I think that the hours will tapper back a bit once we know the lay of the base and how things work.

My duties are many and involve working with over 300 local nationals on a daily basis to accomplish my many grounds related projects (gravel, roads, fences, any concrete, all dirt movement, bridges and like). It is interesting to be right among so many locals all the time. I am assigned two interpreters and 60 escorts to handle the 300 or so local nationals. I'm fortunate as most of the 60 escorts speak some English along with my two terps. I'm off to work so I hope all of you have a good day.

Lincoln

2 comments:

The two old crows said...

Isn't it great that the church is the same every where. I'm glad you can feel the spirit there and know that our Heavenly Father is looking after all you guys over there.

King Family said...

How long is church? Do you just go to sacrament? Im glad that you are able to go.

Is it usual to be given interpreters or do you get them because of your position?