Friday, January 23, 2009

E-mail from Lincoln

Hi honey,

Oh what a week. We arrived at our final destination 7 1/2 days after departing the States. It turns out that in the big picture that is considered good but to someone like me I thought it was slow and often dragging because I was anxious to get here. We had several days delay along our route and often spent time just working our transportation. I took some pictures of the places we stayed and the large tent cities where we were but have yet to figure out how to up load them as we aren't allowed to use the computers with USB connections. I will give you a little more info about our whole trip in the near future.

As you can tell I now have e-mail access with my own address. We are 9 1/2 hours ahead of you so phone calls are often hard to ensure however e-mail is always good. I will plan on checking my e-mails every morning when I get into the office before I start the days construction work. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment as there is simply far more work here than I have ever done at least of this type. I have been assigned all the work dealing with horizontal matters such as roads, parking lots, drainage ditches, bridges, cabling and so on. I will survive though and will eventually become good at even this. The country and terrain here is a lot like Utah with a dry desert feel. The mountains are quite a ways off in the distance the same as how it used to look in Delta. Even though we are at a high altitude we are primarily located in an area that slopes towards these far distant mountains thus we are primarily flat with an occasional ravine here and there. I guess being here is the closest to living in a pure construction site as a person could get. The constant equipment noise and dust will take a bit to get used to there is simply a lot going on.

We work a lot with the local nationals who do the majority of the construction. These good hearted people want to work and are grateful for the chance to make a living. I have spent the whole day with two interpreters and the person I'm replacing going over all of my tasks, again at the moment it appears overwhelming.

I have been told that I do not have access to Blogs from this computer so I will have to figure out where or if I can view or even post things to a blog. It would be nice to be able to at least keep up to date but oh well I work for someone else.

I love ya and miss you a quite a bit.

Lincoln

No comments: