Sunday, March 29, 2009

29 March 2009 Update from Afghanistan

De-mining Kandahar.

I just have to tell all of you how much I appreciate those who de-mine the areas I have work projects on and or in. Years ago millions of antipersonnel and Tank mines were placed all around Kandahar Air Field. The locals have found a lot of them the hard way. The vast majority of landmines however are located by the use of de-mining teams. These teams made up of contractors come from three companies and countries. Spain, South Africa and Afghanistan.

Each of them use slightly differing methods to locate the buried mines with the same hopeful results. All use small metal detectors to first locate the mines and then each deviate from there. The South Africans use an interesting front end loader with an extending bucket to reach out and scoop up the mine which often explodes during the process. They block the area and make sure it's secure before proceeding within their protected front end loader type machine, quite interesting to watch. The Spanish use a piece of equipment which uses a large wheel covered with heavy chains. Once a mine is located and the area is cleared they bring in this machine with the big wheel a turning which beats the ground and yes explodes the discovered mine, quite loud and cool to see. The Afghans however are brave as they locate the buried mines and then hand dig them up.

The anti personnel mines are taken away while the anti tank mines are blown on the spot with the placement of a bit of C4 explosive. It has been interesting to see each of these three methods with their varying safety measures but in the end the areas I'm working in are secured and ready for our new fences and roads to go in. I pray often that all three of the companies are able to do the job we desire as our safety and health depends on them.

I hope all of you have a wonderful day, I love you all.

Lincoln

6 comments:

Tina said...

Be Careful Hon! I want you home in one piece!

The two old crows said...

Amen to that

shirley gernhart said...

Interesting the three different ways of demining. I wonder why those three countries? Any ideas? How large of swath do they cover?
Do be careful as I know you will be.

Grandpa Sid said...

I've seen that "Flail" mine sweeper on TV. Very cool.
I surprised that they don't pull a wide "carpet drag" harrow along behind it.

Kind of like digging up weeds on the farm. Don't you think. (except for the hazard)

Keep safe Linc.
Love you
Dad

King Family said...

Wow, be very very careful! Im glad that you are one of the people de-mining the areas. Do they often get hurt?

Lincoln Stevens said...

Yep, they get hurt often. A few weeks ago two were injured and one eventually passed away.