Thank you for the various comments. It's hard to get time on the computer here with all of the troops in line so when I do I have to hurry.
There are many de-mining companies in the world but only three have this contract. I have often talked with our interpreters about the multitude of languages and the reasons for then all as everyone knows that one language would solve a lot of their issues. However it's like a bunch of little kids who don't want to grow up and want it their way. So, instead of changing their many languages into one they just fight and and ask each other why should I have to give up mine and so on. It's funny because as I've eaten the bread I am told to ignore my two marines. They are there to watch over and protect me. There have been a couple of times where I take them a piece or give it to them when we get back in the hummer.
Going outside the wire to check on the fence projects seems to be the talk of our outfit. Everyone wants to go and take their turn getting pictures and meeting the locals closer at hand. However, the commander keeps saying no to many of their requests as they are design engineers and not on the operational side of things. Over the past month we typically use one of two back gates where there is just open country and no local homes or people. It allows us to get right tot he job sites and stay in a relatively safe area. However, the past three days we have had to use the front main gate as some silly individual went on R&R leave with the set of keys for the back gates. Until someone decides to cut the locks and just simply replace them we are being forced to go out the front of the base where it's crowded and obviously quite a bit more dangerous. However, you will like my pictures when I eventually get the chance to upload some as there is just a ton of activity out the front gate. The housing (poverty) is everywhere. The kids are plentiful and of course have their hands out for anything you will throw at them. The locals tend wave yet take a step back cautiously as they are so used to dangerous situations when hummers come by. So, I'm seeing more of the local area yet having to be a bit more vigilant. Staying positive and busy from Afghanistan, talk you all later.
My prayers are with all of you. Love Lincoln
Ponderings
10 years ago
2 comments:
It was good to talk to you yesterday! and good to see your post. Glad you are doing well.
I can't wait for the pictures!
Post a Comment