Wednesday, March 11, 2009

12 March 09 Update from Afghanistan

Good morning,

I get the chance and I do consider it an opportunity to stop and talk to all of the younger Airman whenever I see them. I recall when I was younger and fairly new in the service passing several higher ranks who would just pass me by and often not even say hello. At that time I vowed to never pass by a younger troop without at least saying hello and if the time permitted to even stop and find out a tiny tidbit about them and if possible cheer them up. There have been times over the years as I have grown in the Military where the only time I had was to say a quick hello but most of the time I'm able to take a moment.

So, here I am all of the way over in Kandahar Afghanistan with hundreds of Airman of all ranks and as usual saying hello to as many as I can just simply taking the time whenever I see a group of Airmen. When I decide to stop and say hello to three young staff sergeants who are sitting alone in the dinning facility. As I'm saying hi to them one of the sergeants blurts out; I remember you, you are from Andrews Air Force Base. right? Well of course I said yes and asked why. She goes on to say that the day after she arrived on Andrews as a brand new Airman fresh out of basic training she was lost and wondering what she had gotten herself into when along came a Chief and asked how she was doing and if she needed help.

I have to admit that I don't recall the situation as days and times like that occur everyday in my life. But, this staff sergeant seemed to recall it and claimed that I helped her and sent her on her way feeling better about her new assignment and career. It was kind of cool as I was with the rest of my team who all patted me on the back after we left the dinning facility.

So, what causes us in our life to rush by others and never say hello or acknowledge their presence. We are often running so fast that we fail to stop and say hi to those who matter. There are times when I say hello that it is obvious that I just shocked the receiver as though it isn't allowed, this happens a lot with the British. I actually enjoy the shocked and hurried response that often comes back. Usually though it is a simple little grunt in acknowledgement. Anyway, I hope that all of you will find the time to say hello to everyone you meet even if it's just a quick passing hi or hello as it could make someones day.

I love you all and wish you a grand day.

4 comments:

Sid said...

Cool story :-)

Tina said...

I've got tears running down my cheeks . . . you are such a good guy Lincoln.

When I go and visit Lincoln at his work and walk down the halls with him he knows EVERYONE and everyone knows him. I'll ask him who that person we just talked to was, and it could be the janitor or a contractor or anyone . . . it doesn't matter, Lincoln takes time to talk to and know everyone's names.

Pretty cool Linc!

The two old crows said...

That is cool Lincoln. With your smile you probably make someone's day brighter and you don't even know it. Neat.

King Family said...

I remember when you told me to say hi to everyone, and say their names because they would like me more. It really does work. You are one of the most positive people I know. You make me proud!

Very cool dad.