Sunday, May 3, 2009

Update from Afghanistan 4 May 2009

Good morning,

It has been a while since I have been able to get to an actual computer and type my own post. The troop buildup here is overwhelming which brings with it days and days where the computers have wait times of well over three hours. I simply can't wait that long and thus don't get the use of one. This morning I decided to take the time. I arrived here at 0330, why simply because I couldn't sleep. It was 0525 when it because my turn for the computer. I get to use it for 20 minutes and thus my time runneth away before I even get a chance to say hello.

Thank you all for your support and comments, they are always worth reading. Beetles, spiders and snakes tend to get into everything here yet leave most people alone. We have had a couple cases of snake bite but have yet to hear of any bad spider bites. So, life continues as it should with the jobs that I'm managing. The perimeter fence job is just about finished and looks good at least others who see it say so. I have truly enjoyed being able to work with the locals and getting off base for such an assignment. I'm sure that I will be assigned another task off base because so many others don't want to go outside the wire it leave only a few of us who end up with the tougher jobs.

One interesting thing about going outside the wire is the chance to look at odd things such as local kids, buildings, the terrain and so on. I have also had a bit of fun looking at the odd rocks that litter the country. I have picked up quite a few as it has proven to be a topic of conversation for anyone who comes by my desk. We aren't allowed to bring any home unless they are polished due to potential diseases so I will have to see if i can polish a few. What I find interesting is that here in the middle of nowhere there are rocks that suggest of past giant lakes and or massive rivers. There are rocks that are quite common like Gypsum and Garnet yet they too are full of interesting quartz veins that make them worth picking up. So, in this harsh desert I'm finding tidbits of stuff to pass the time.

My time is up, got to go, love you all. Lincoln

3 comments:

King Family said...

It is good to hear from you. I can't believe the wait time is that long when you only get to use the computer for 20 minutes. Wow. I am glad you haven't been bitten by anything, that wouldn't be fun. I hope you get a chance to polish some of those rocks, it sounds like they look pretty neat.

Tina said...

Wow, Lincoln! I was surprised to see you actually got to post your own post . . . although I don't mind doing it for you. If you'd rather spend your time looking at other people's blogs in your 20 minutes I can still post them for you!

I have always been fascinated with rocks! (you know, because you have to keep moving a certain box of rocks when we move). I too have been amazed to find sea shells at the top of the mountains in the west desert of Utah. "desert" being the key word. We all know that Utah was covered by a lake at one time, but finding the evidence is fun . . . .

LOVE YOU!!!

Bainter Family Antics said...

Hi Uncle Lincoln,
I was wondering when you would get home. I miss you! You are funny and a fun uncle. Guess what, my birthday is in two days. I will be 7. I get to have my first friend party at the Great Mills Pool. I love you!! Stevie