Friday, May 8, 2009

Update 8 May 2009

Three of us were directed Thursday night the 7th of May to fly to an outlying base and check on the quality of a concrete project and perform a quick sight survey. So this morning the 8th of May at 10:00 AM the three of us boarded a Chinook which is a real large twin two prop helicopter capable of carrying large loads of troops or cargo and is considered a work horse among helicopters. Unlike a standard Huey (one engine small and fast) or a Blackhawk (two engine large troop mover) the Chinook is built and designed as a work horse.

Anyway, we were on what was called a sling load trip. The purpose for such a name is that the Chinook often carries its cargo by slinging the load from the bottom of the helicopter. It can carry its load in the bay but typically slings it underneath as often the bay of the helicopter is full of troops. Our trip was definitely a sling load. I have ridden in a Chinook many times but never with a sling load. The trap door in the bottom of the helicopter's bay was open so that as we flew along we could see the slung load (it was a large generator) swaying back and forth as the ground swished by at 80-100 miles per hour. It was cool; both the view and the temp as the air swished by. We were grateful for the swirling wind due to the high temperature of the day. I was worried a little about getting dizzy as I watched this whole scene unfold but in the end I felt fine.

Anyway, the Chinook had three gunners with M240s which are a large caliber machine gun; one on the tail ramp facing the rear, and one on each side of the aircraft at the side doors. Basically the three gunners were ready to engage anything they felt was a real threat to the helicopter. Along with the three gunners we had two Huey helicopters loaded for bear as escorts due to the challenging location which we were heading into. Anyway, we arrived and offloaded with no incidents and took care of our small assignment with the concrete and then back on board for our quick trip home. We arrived back to our base around 1:30PM

It was fun; it was hot, it was windy, it was cool watching the swaying load, it was some of the driest ground I have ever seen speeding by, pure desert and sand, and it was nice to arrive back here safe. Another week has passed and the work continues.

Hope all of you have a wonderful day, Love Lincoln

5 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Wow! I don't think I could have looked down at the load below. It would have made me too nervous. I'm so impressed at you guys out there, doing your jobs in those circumstances. Glad you made it safely!

The two old crows said...

Sounds like you might be alittle bored when you get home. hehe. I don't think I could have looked down either.

Unknown said...

Lincoln
You have such a positive attitude!! You are doing such a great job - it is so wonderful to have people like you doing so much good for our country and other countries.
Thanks,
Teckla & Jerry

King Family said...

Wow dad that is really cool. It sounds like it would be a neat trip. You have been able to experience so many different things, what an adventure.

shirley gernhart said...

I don't think I could have looked down. Of course, what else is there to do??? Glad it was a safe trip for you and others.