Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rocks rock!

Rocks and more rocks.

I have picked up a few rocks, cleaned them a bit and placed them upon my desk so as to allow others who may like looking at rocks the ability to see the odd patterns, colors and compositions of the rocks in the area which are just outside the base perimeter.

I have to admit as I said the other day I am fascinated with finding odd rocks or seashells in the desert as it suggests that a massive river or lake used to be here or volcanic type activity occurred in the past. Some of the neatest rocks are sitting right out on the ground and yet suggest that they were tumbled over and over before coming to rest where they are now. I have heard that the dust blows constantly in the summer, we have already experienced some of these dust storms. So how is it that all of these rocks are not covered up with dirt! How is it that these rocks with varying sedimentary layers are so prevalent!

We have a geologist on our team who feels that indeed there has had to of been some seismic activity in the areas' there are occasional pieces of lava rock around. Very few as these sort of rocks make great houses and have been used for years for just such. The geologist also acknowledges that sometime in the past a lot of water has had to of moved through here.

Could dust or sand storms create the varying layers of sediment in the rocks! How about the rocks with quartz running throughout the granite, where did they come from... I hope I can bring a few home...I must be weird to like rocks.....

I love you all and hope you have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

King Family said...

Wow, it is good to hear from you again so soon. I don't think you are wierd, it is really neat to see things like that. I remember when we went to that museum with the big diamond of the sea in it, or whatever it was called (from Titanic) and it had all those other cool rocks in it. Very very cool. And all those caves with those other cool rocks, I can't even remember what they are called. My brain must be fried after studying for my finals so hard. It is probably time for me to get to sleep so that I will wake up in time for the actual exam.

Time's flying! You'll be home in no time!! Miss you dad! Love you!

Halley