Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 3, 2009 update

Chancy our son graduated from High School yesterday and as you know I missed it. I have missed a lot of family events over the years. Tina and I have talked a bit about my often missing things which seem to occur a lot with events surrounding Chancy's birthdays or some of the other kids for that matter. For some reason our family has been gone from home a lot when Chancy's birthdays come along the end of July, just as I'm gone from another major event in his life now with his graduation. Know that I was there in spirit and proud to have you accomplish a big milestone in your life.

Well, it's my birthday. I'm 21 and a few. I will missed having the chocolate cake after work, (it would have melted in Kandahar anyway) or some Blueberry Pie (my favorite), the look from everyone when they look at me and think to themselves; yea right, you're not 21, really. I didn't tell anyone here that it was my birthday as what good would it have done anyway. Everyone here claims that I'm a lot younger than what I say anyway.

What is a birthday in a deployed area anyway, just another day closer to getting home unless a package arrived with something special. What is special back home isn't always what is special when you are away and deployed. I like the letters and cards which are home made....I will like the thoughtful decisions made by Tina before sending a box as it will be obvious that some thought went into the package. I like the feeling I'm missed and loved. I like the fact that I slept in even though it was only until 6:00 am, I liked being able to talk to Tina and the kids on the phone this morning. I even finish an entire movie in one sitting last night, yep usually I get to watch only pieces as I fall asleep long before I get through anything here and never take enough time off from the daily work load. I left work at 2000 hours last night with the purpose of watching a movie. I watched the new Star Trek movie, it was quite good. I liked dinner last night only because I chose to like it rather than cringing over what usually gets served. I liked my moms surprise package as it had a couple unique items in it also which surprised me and the card and letter were a nice added bonus; mom, I haven't eaten a Twinkie in years and hope it will be years more after the one I just downed. I feel a lot younger than I look and what I really am, I hope this will continue forever.

I love you all and wish all of you a grand day, I'm planning on having a good one. Lincoln

6 comments:

Tina said...

I'm glad you got to treat yourself to a few little extras on your birthday!

LOVE YOU!

The two old crows said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM DAD AND MOM YOUNG!!!!!!!

Love you

young family said...

Happy Birthday from all of us. We love reading your blog and seeing what you are up to over there. Stay safe!

George

Tina said...

Justin called to wish you a happy birthday! so I'm passing it on to you!

Sudar Clan said...

Happy Birthday Lincoln! We love you and wish you the best. Thanks for what you are doing for us out there!
Chrissy

King Family said...

Happy super late birthday. I am glad you had a good day; you do look younger than you are. :)