Technology rules baby.
Curriers, telegrams, letters, potential phone calls, actual phone calls, e-mails, cell phones and video monitors/ webcams. Communication from the war zone has sure changed over the years. Twenty or so years ago some really smart generals realized that the troops of today were far different than the soldiers of yesterday as today a soldier expects and even demands the ability to stay in constant communication with the world. Whether this is through daily phone calls, e-mails, video web cams or face to face the soldier seems to have been able to dictate the need to stay in communication with loved ones. Who would have ever thought that there would be a time when a troop would arrive to the war zone and upon in processing be asked if they wanted to pay and buy into the available internet service for a certain $$ amount per month. Who would have ever dreamed that I would have the ability to call home basically everyday and potentially make Tina sick because I call too much. Who would have ever dreamed that you could walk into the MWR (moral, welfare and recreation) tent and find thirty TVs with Play station or Xbox running 24/7?
It has been found that if the troops stay happy then the mission gets accomplished. Heck even I have some of this technology as I have a small DVD player, an IPod and the use of the phone and computer pretty much at will. I was issued a cell phone when I arrived which is used for more than an hour daily as I discuss issues with contractors. I would find it much harder to conduct my business or to be away from home without what comforts I do have and take advantage of. Is it that we and even I have just gotten use to all this technology and expect it as 100 years ago we would have never even known about the things we take for granted now.
I wonder what the next war will be like, will we simply sit back in our arm chairs and pay a servant to perform the task as there are actually a few servants running around this base. Yep servants, as some of the countries pay servants to do almost everything for their officers, after all why would you everf orce an officer to wash their own laundry, polish their own boot or clean their rooms. I have been assigned three Soldiers (Army) and three Airmen (Air Force) for use to escort barrier trucks throughout the base. These six individuals are loving life. They tell me that they finish work around 1600 and play Play station or Xbox until 0100. They have told me that this is easier than being at home with up to five meals a day. I guess it would be a great place if you loved Play Station orXbox didn't have to smell the poop pond, eat the dust or carry your weapon all the time.
I was thinking that my boys would love going to war nowadays well maybe not....
Love you all Lincoln
Ponderings
10 years ago
4 comments:
You hardly give me a chance to miss you!!! Seriously, one week Lincoln didn't call from a Wednesday to a Sunday and I was starting to worry because I hadn't heard from him in a couple of days?
You ever read Ender's Game, Lincoln? You would find it interesting . . . .
LOVE YA!!! Tina
may not for the boys. Yep war has changed for the good that way. It helps to stay in touch or hear a loved ones voice.
I was thinking Ender's Game as well, Tina! Great book. (Ender's Shadow and the Shadow series as well go into the ideas of war.) It really is such a great thing to be able to keep in contact so easily, even from a war zone. Makes the world seem not so large and family not so far away (sometimes.)
Im very thankful for the contact you have with computers and phone. It was great getting your phone call today. It's too bad it was cut short. Thank you so much for the birthday wishes and for calling. I love you dad!
Post a Comment