The USO has come to town (United Service Organizations). Most of you will recall the movies and stories of Bob Hope and others visiting the troops and performing as a huge moral booster to relieve the stress of the war and or being away from our loved ones. Since being in Afghanistan we have had a dozen such visits. The ones I recall are Toby Keith (country singer), yep I went to the concert right here in Kandahar, and it was fun and a definite stress reliever. We had a comedian troop from Great Britain which I missed, I later heard that the troop was funny yet crude, I'm glad I missed it. We have had some football team's cheer leaders come through, missed this one also but I heard that it was a hit with the troops. We have had numerous actors come through the base with the goal of saying hello to anyone who could break free for a few minutes. I have not seen any of them other than David Robinson (pro basketball player) whom I saw in the dining facility eating before his basketball exhibition. The other day four professional sand volleyball players came through and put on a few exhibition games and then they played as a team against any four who wished to challenge them, I would have enjoyed seeing this but it was during the day while I'm off working.
Anyway, I have to tell you that I think it is totally cool to have such an organization bringing the troops the occasional entertainment. I understand that the entertainers are more than likely paid however some are performing here as a charity. Regardless the USO is here and doing the troops a great service. I appreciate those who understand that the war may not be pretty or right yet recognize that the troops are just doing their job and enjoy a few minutes of down time. The USO is throughout the world and helps out the military everywhere they are. They are funded primarily through donations and volunteers. I applaud them for what they do and stand for.
Have a good day. Lincoln
Ponderings
10 years ago
2 comments:
Lincoln
So, glad that you are doing so good. We enjoy reading your blog, and it is really 'enlightening' us on alot of Air Guard activities. We look forward to your safe return. Keep that wonderful smile.
Teckla & Jerry
That sounds really neat. I wish I could go to a Toby Keith concert. Sounds way fun. Im glad they have stuff like that for you. You deserve it!
Post a Comment