I had the opportunity to attend what is called a Ramp Ceremony the other evening. Often these events are so crowded that there isn't room for all who may want to attend or other duties keep some away from attending. A ramp ceremony is performed anytime a fallen soldier departs the base for home via any aircraft regardless of which country the fallen is from. You have read a bit about the event in one of my previous blogs however I decided I needed to elaborate upon the ceremony itself as it is still fresh in my mind.
This ramp ceremony was called due to the loss of two US soldiers who lost their lives along with their local national aides while driving along the road as a road side bomb was detonated. The base was notified via an e-mail at approximately1600 hours of the event which was to occur at 1930 hours. All ramp ceremonies have short notices as the fallen depart the base rather quickly.
Several of our team attended the ceremony which required us to be in place at 1900 hours. The ramp was packed...with three short hours of notice there still had to be four thousand in attendance. We were all formed up into flights for the short march to the rear of the aircraft. All senior ranking members were placed into a flight of their own which in the end allowed us to have basically a front seat view. Our flight marched last giving us the view of all of the other flights as they passed in front of us on their way to their positions and line the final parade route. It was a sight to behold as flight after flight filed by. A ramp ceremony brings out all of the other countries with their interesting uniforms and marching styles. It was awesome to watch each country march by, some with their high knee marching style while others with their pronounced arm swings or special cadence. After the last flight passed our formation we were called to attention and marched ourselves to the final open space at the very rear of the aircraft where we joined all of the other flights at parade rest.
Within a couple of minutes a Chaplain came on the speaker and was heard reading a scripture and offering a prayer with a few comforting final thoughts. Immediately following the Chaplain we were all called to attention as a British Officer played a farewell to the fallen with his Scottish Bag Pipes which is a traditional goodbye for many countries. This was followed by a US soldier playing a rendition of taps.
This being the first ramp ceremony I've been able to attend I wasn't prepared as the emotion for most present rises at this point. The call to present arms is heard along the parade route as the Flag of the United States and the Unit flags of those fallen approaches each flight. We hold the salute as the flags approach and proceed the caskets as which are carried by the team mates of the fallen. We continue to hold our salutes until the caskets are carried up the air crafts ramp which immediately starts to close. At this point each flight calls order arms, left turn and dismissed. The walk away from the parade route is a quiet time as most present are thinking about what they just witnessed, it left an impression with me.
I hope you all have a good day, Love Lincoln
Ponderings
10 years ago
5 comments:
Very touching Hon. I had no idea that any ceremony was given for a fallen soldier before their actual funeral.
Linc, I was very touched when taps were played at your fathers burial ceremony. While reading your "Ramp Ceremony" post, I was similarly touched.
Thank You,
Take Care Son,
Dad
That was awesome. I too was moved to tears. I remember your dad's and my dad's ceremony it brings tears.
Thanks for sharing that ceremony with us. I guess we can learn something new everyday, just have to have someone like yourself share it with us. Very interesting, but also very sad. Thanks for your thoughtfulness to share this with us.
Teckla & Jerry
I think it is really neat that so many people come together for this regardless of what country they are from. Very touching.
Post a Comment