Sunday, July 5, 2009

5 July 2009 Update

There are six Air Force Chiefs here on Kandahar. When our team arrived there were three Chiefs but as the base grows so does the leadership. Anyway one of the extra duties assigned to the Chiefs is what is known as the new comer's briefings. Each of the Chiefs is required to take a few minutes and talk to the arriving Airman twice a week and basically expounds our wisdom, no matter how little it is, upon these Airmen. This welcome briefing takes about 90 minutes. I follow all of the set and standard briefing lines and then as the other Chiefs do I add a few words of my own.

One of the things I tell these Airmen of varying ranks is that they should set themselves five goals to accomplish while they are deployed. I did this with a bit of success myself and I'm tickled that I did. I also talk to the crowd about the need to maintain their standards. After all why do people who have never smoked decide that this is a great time to start? We all know it is because of peer pressure or boredom but why start if one doesn't smoke already back home? Yet, in the end half of those deployed will change their standards and be smoking by the time they go home. Why do others decide that they are going to take up chewing tobacco or cigars? I have asked many a person why only to get the answer that everyone else does it so I figured that it was okay. I hear things like I will just quit when I get back to my Base or Family.

Oh the error of our ways when we realize how hard it is to give up the habits we weave. So, my briefings are usually well liked and leave everyone in an upbeat mood but in the end people will often only listen as far as the door. Most of the other briefings are straight to the point and dictate all the dos and don't. I find these sorts of briefings flat out boring. Anyway to add to my thoughts, I don't understand people as the creating of these bad habits is gross and I don't think that it is cool to smoke or chew but others apparently do. To a person everyone knows that tobacco is bad for your health but so are a lot of other things.

I was talking to a young Soldier this morning who said that he went through television withdrawal pains when he arrived here and can't wait to get back home and hug his TV. I mentioned to him that it might be a good idea to cut back on his TV time especially since he has now been without it for a while. He was shocked as he just could not see such a contraption as anything but good. I wonder what he will feel like with his new habits. My thoughts are to work on the good habits so the bad ones can't come near me since I'm just to busy with those that in the end improve the overall me.

Is the grass really greener on the other side of the fence where all of these bad habits are formed? I have to say it is all just rebellion for most of those here as they don't have anyone looking over their shoulder or telling them that they can't do this or that for the time being. What a hard lesson to learn as these habits will stay with the person for years to come. I feel sorry for the young man who arrives here full of life only to get sucked into a few bad habits by his so called friends only to realize how hard they are to discard after he gets home.

What causes someone to all of the sudden take up swearing and claim that they can turn it off when they get home to their spouse and kids. Why not stay on the safe side all the time which in the end allows one to smile at themselves when they look in the mirror.

I love you all and hope you have a grand day. Lincoln

3 comments:

Tina said...

I ask myself these same questions a lot myself!!

The two old crows said...

It is to bad people can't listen and learn from others. They think they are getting away with something, but really bad habits come back and haunt you. They aren't easy to give up.

King Family said...

I hope the new airmen are better off with your briefings. I am sure you are touching a few who would have fallen if you hadn't said what you did. It sure is hard to kick bad habits, it's better to just stay away from them in the first place.