How do we spell relief? I spell it replacements are on their way......:-) So our replacements graduated from Combat Skills Training today and will leave the training location tomorrow early. We should see them by Saturday or Sunday and give them the grand tour of wonderful Kandahar Air Base.
I have a small feeling that initially they are going to be holding their noses due to the continue smells, covering their eyes with sand goggles due to the dust, running for the indoors due to the heat and doing what they can to overcome their jet lag as they are coming from 12 ½ hours of time zone changes. Oh well, I have prepared a continuity binder for the individual who is replacing me with full details in what each of his tasks will be if he is indeed assigned to cover the same tasks. It would have been nice to have had anything like a lesson book indicating where any computer files or the like are located as a lot of our initial time on the ground was just finding the files for each of the assigned tasks. So, I hope he likes the binder as it is quite detailed and will hopefully get him started in a quick hurry.
It feels weird to know that in less than two weeks I could be home. I for one am looking forward to seeing Tina and the Boys. I wish Halley were around so that I could give her a hug also. But oh well September is just around the corner and I hope to see Halley then. So here I am doing everything to not get too excited and keep up the pace as there is simply a lot still to do and I'm not the sort of a person the drop the ball on anything that I'm in charge of.
I have often been told that I'm overly protective of what I manage and build/create. Most of the tasks I have been assigned had to be started from scratch and thus I indeed feel as though I will be leaving behind some of myself. I am sure that my replacement will be just as tenacious and will put 110% into what he does.
It's just about time for the rest of my life. See all of you soon.
Love ya, Lincoln
P.S. Only a couple more blog entries at least from this particular part of the world...I wonder what I can write to you about as I finish this deployment???.
Ponderings
10 years ago
7 comments:
I can't believe we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Wooo Hooo!
It is great knowing you will be home soon. It will be nice to have you close. At least after September. he he
Hmmm,
are you talking about the rest of your life, as in the rest of the story, or the vacation of your life as in relaxation?????
You deserve both.
It will be good to know that you will be "out of harms way"
So very happy to hear that you are getting so close to be coming home you the US and your family. I know you are all very excited. We will miss your blog, Lincoln -- so you will have to think of some way to keep in contact!!
Teckla & Jerry
I wish I could be there too. It will be really nice to know you are in the US again and safe. I am already looking forward to September!
What am I going to do about not being able to read the Afghanistan episodes???
I did read to a group of retired people, while we were packing goodies for Iraq and Afghanistan, about the ramp ceremony. It was quiet during and after.
Stay safe.
Yay!!! We'll all be very happy to know you are home safe, as well. It has been very enjoyable reading your blog. Thank you for putting it up and sharing so many of your experiences with us. Good luck with the last bit, and we still look forward to the rest of what you have to say. :)
Post a Comment