First I want to wish my Justin, our son, a happy birthday. I had the chance to talk to Justin this morning and enjoyed the time. Best of luck to you Justin and have a wonderful day.
Have you even been cold when it is still over 100 degrees? Yep you guessed it as I can now say that I have been chilly when the temp is still over 100 degrees. Granted this feeling is only fleeting as I simply won't let the thought stick around for more than a moment. Biking or running around here for exercise has to be finished by 0530 as the temp is usually in the eighties by 0600.
The other day two of us took a quick bike ride across base for a meeting which started at 1700 hours (5:00 PM). We took our bikes because there wasn't a vehicle to be found. It was just like riding with a furnace blowing on you the whole time. Totally surreal as all I could think about was working above a hot grill with no escape.
The temperature reading here are like back home and are read while in the shade. So if the weather reports that the temperatures are say 115 degrees and it is in the shade guess how hot it is in the direct sun light? You see we often get to work right in the direct sunlight which is always 20-30 degrees higher than the true reading as taken in the shade. I have figured out that the weather readers have a theory that if someone is hot while standing in the direct sunshine then they will move to the shade, right after all that does make sense.
What about all of those out there, like me, who can't find any shade? After all there are no trees or buildings taller than two stories around here. One doesn't have a vehicle around most of the time so jumping in an air conditioned cab isn't an option. Yep, we just buck it up and stand in the blazing sun and pray for a breeze, any breeze, even from the direction of the poop ponds is better than no breeze at all. I come in the office after being out and about for six to eight hours, remove my body armor and freeze. How silly to be cold at 100 or 90 as it is in our office. I find that I have to run outside for a few minutes ever now and then just to warm up.
I can't wait for the cool temperatures of Maryland around the end of the month. Love ya all, Lincoln
Ponderings
10 years ago
4 comments:
I don't think I could ever feel cold at 100 degrees!! Though the other day I was talking to someone who was visiting Maryland and they couldn't believe how hot and humid it was, I told them I thought it was kind of a cool day that day and the humidity wasn't bothering me at all! So I guess it is all in what you get used to! You'll freeze to death here. I have to put a blanket on in the house!
You're going to want to move somewhere tropical when you get back. I can't imagine getting used to that kind of weather. Wow.
Happy Birthday Justin!
That does sound kinda of funny to be cold at 100 degrees.
I hope you don't catch a cold when you get home because it has really been unseasonable cool here this summer. Love ya Linc!!!
Post a Comment