Wednesday, April 8, 2009

e-mail from lincoln


I thought that I would send you a cute picture which we took and tell you a bit about the day.

As you are aware I get to drive off base a lot. I don't think that this is a privilege but just a fact of the job. Anyway, with all of the rains we have had the valleys (what's called a Wadi in Afghanistan) are basically full of water. So everywhere we drive we have to cross these small depressions which are at varying depths of water. Overall it's kind of fun as we get to splash through all kinds of water and hit the gas so as to ensure we get all the way through the Wadi without sinking, sounds easy right. Anyway, today we came across a standard depression which looked just like all the other depressions that we have been crossing the past two days and proceed on our way through the water when we kept going deeper and deeper until our windows were half covered up.

Guess what, a hummer leaks......We had a lot of water coming through the firewall and of course the sliding windows that are on the newer hummers. My two escorts were yelling punch it punch it, of course I was, we just weren't moving very fast. Have you ever been in a situation where everything seems like it's moving real slow when in reality things are moving real fast. Well, we of course made it though, a bit wet though. We opened the doors on the other side and let some of the water out and proceeded on our way laughing a bit. These hummers are made to forge rivers and have what is called a snorkel breather on them so the engines don't stall, someone should fix the leaks...ha ha ha. Everyone back at the offices were having a good laugh to when we told them about our wet britches.

5 comments:

The two old crows said...

how funny.

Mary Jo said...

That sounds like fun. :)

LeeAnn said...

Even in crazy dangerous times and area one can have funny things happen! This is a great story!

King Family said...

Wow, that is crazy! Half way up the windows?! Geeze! I thought my crossing a river in 4 wheelers was bad, and I only got my shoes wet! Yeah, the leaks should definitely be fixed!

Lincoln Stevens said...

Yep, what a crazy story and yet fun to experiance. Everyone here wants to go out and try the hummer in the mud. No me, I want to stay safe on the base and not get stuck in anyway.